The goal of this Track is understanding and managing of complex, global, socially interactive systems, using computational modelling, with a focus on agent-based modelling. Revealing the hidden laws and processes underlying societies constitutes the most pressing scientific grand challenge of our century and is equally important for the development of novel robust, trustworthy and adaptive information and communication technologies (ICT), based on socially inspired paradigms.
Data-based and simulation-based computational modeling is a highly sought professional skill. In recent years, firms have invested heavily in professional figures who are analysing large data volumes, for the purpose of understanding trends, dynamics, relationships. Examples of application range from finance, marketing, economic planning, business strategy study, and market analysis.
Professional possibilities after the School
- Application for a PhD with bursary after the School, either in Italy or abroad, as the first step towards an academic career leading to a research career.
- Possible enrollment during the School, and specifically after the successful admission to the internship, to a PhD program without bursary, in particular the “PhD in Computer Science – University of Plymouth (Plymouth, UK)” (made possible by an agreement between ISTC-CNR and the University of Plymouth).
- Professional employment in the private sector, as data analyst and specialist in what-if scenarios.
- Professional employment in the public sector, in institutions that deal with economic strategies and policy evaluation
Topics of the Research Project (each student Project will focus on a sub-set of topics)
- Computational Social Science
- Social Cognition (Norms, Reputation, Emotions, Socio-Cognitive architecture)
- Computational economics (Agent-based Computational Economics, Finance, Microfoundation of macro economy, Organization, Planning, Markets)
- Computational sociology (Game theory, Deviance, Crime, History, Policy, Cultural dynamics, Econophysics Complex system, Big data)